Speak to me !

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

To WoW or not to WoW

Today I've talked a bit with people that play other games, and got some info.

- Remember when I tried LOTRO once, and then twice ? Well, LOTRO is fun. It also has a nice environment, ie, the story background is JRRT based, not modern. It also has a nice player base, RPG oriented, as I like it. What is LOTRO problem ? It was created to fight the WoW player base, so it LOOKS like WoW, too much.

- Remember when I tried EVE ? I loved the graphics, I liked the player base, I liked the chaotic, non-linear way to improve, I liked the gamer conventions and prized battlegrounds, live on the Internet. What I did dislike ? The combat. You simply never miss, even when you are in an X-Wing kind of ship. It doesn't make sense.

- Remember when I tried Star Wars Galaxies ? I've read ALL the Star Wars books, so I know the Universe from the ground up, but... the graphics. OMFG. So bad it hurts.

- Remember when I tried A Tale in the Desert 3 ? Nice graphics, a friendly PVE, an easy to learn interface, daring challenges, but a bit too empty for my taste. Might try ATITD4.

- Remember when I tried Dungeons and Dragons Online ? Ha ! That's it. I never tried it, although I played D&D 3.5 RPG, and ffs, I've read a lot of Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms books (Elminster, mostly), and I've even have the rules book. Why not give it a try ? It's also Turbine/Codemasters, just like LOTRO. With some luck the graphics engine will be as good, meaning better than WoW. The player base will most certainly be good, with mature players, not hot teenagers with <0.1s hand reflexes.

- Remember when I tried The Chronicles of Spellborn ? Well you don't, it hasn't come out yet. It looks promising. Furthermore the soundtrack is from Within Temptation. Look !

No comments: